Saturday 3 July 2010

Home grown :)

I have always wanted the space to "make" things. Be it cards, crafts, cooking, babies, families lol just space! I have found that space in our new home. I am in such a big home grown stage at the moment. I am making Steve's birthday present and making a bunch of cakes/cupcakes/pavlova type things this weekend. I also plan on getting caught up with some scrap booking this week as well. I am constantly in my garden checking on my lavender and flowers to see what I can press to go in my scrap book and constantly wishing I had a sewing machine so I can make some cushions rather than buying ones that look home made lol I think something about the way the economy is going bust and ppl are starting to realize that we can't go on living by just spend spend spending is getting to me and I am finding it a joy to be able to look at what we have and be blessed by it and to make it work to it's fullest potential. I'm not saying we need to do this but I think that the Bible teaches us not to waste, and to make the most of what we have. So I am planning on doing that. I don't use a dryer at the moment (mainly because I am waiting for the sale so I can get to eco friendly one) but everything goes on the line and smells blissful when it comes inside, I reuse my dishwater to water my tomatoes and the soap keeps the flies off, I donate regularly to charity shops and am not to proud to get the odd tshirt or dress for Maggie and I from there. I got the most gorgeous beige maternity top from there with the tags still on it for 1.25 you can't beat that! When I eventually get my sewing machine I am going to turn all my old sweaters into cushion covers...I saw it on etsy or martha and fell in love with the idea! Our walls are all white so in the evenings as it is still so light out I light candles and  turn the lights out.  We shop at our local fruit and veg shop and I try to go to market to get our meat as much as time will allow. I am not an eco warrior but I do believe in cherishing what we have and doing what I can to make it last. I want Maggie to grow up with a sense of apreciation for life and things in her life. I want her to know that "things" are special and to be apreciated. I don't know what I am trying to say and I am mostly just rambling but I am really trying and really enjoying this whole new phase of my life. It's not so much for the goverment and the good of the planet...it's for the good of my family and it gives me so much satisfaction knowing that I am doing something positive to help enrich their lives and the creativity enriches my life at the same time.  Blessings to you and yours!
xox
Mara and Spudlee

oh ps
we found out we are having a girl! So we are thinking either Aimee Alice Slater   OR   Emilee (not sure about a middle name) Slater  :) Another princess to spoil rotten!

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Wish you lived closer so we could scrapbook together! I have about a year to catch up on! Good thing the weather here is so yucky, it means I have no reason to be outside!! Althouhg I would much prefer the sun to be here and i would finish it in the fall and winter!