Tuesday 6 July 2010

A grown up...

what does this mean? What is a grown up? Is a grown up someone who pays their bills, goes to work, eats properly, has a home they share with someone or people they love, perhaps has children....what makes a grown up grown? At what point do we say "I am no longer young, I am now a grown up" ? I was sat in the dentist today dreading absolutely dreading it and I all of a sudden wanted my mum! lol Now I am what I would consider in between a grownup and a young adult. I don't consider myself to be old but I am not young. However I rarely want my mum...I am a fully responsible, fully capable and functioning person who thinks, breathes and does my own thing...I look after my family and I pay my bills on time I work hard and I enjoy my time. But in that fleeting moment I wanted my mum. And for that moment I didn't feel like a grown up at all, I felt like a child all alone in the big bad world. Is it odd for me to feel this way or is it normal? At what point do we stop feeling the need for our parents support and step out into the world on our own. For as independent as I am, I know that I can always pick up the phone and my mum will be here. I know if I ever get lost or stuck somewhere I can call collect (yes she will probably complain for the rest of my life) but I can call home and call my mom and dad and they will sort out a way for me to get home safely. At what point do I stop that? I would do the same for Maggie and would go through hell barefoot to get her home safely from somewhere but it just got me thinking and wondering if knowing your parents are there and if not relying on them, but relying on the assurance of them being there...if that made me less of a grown up? I think that God is a bit like a parent in some ways isn't He. He is there and although I don't rely on him physically daily, I know He is there if I should happen to get lost and need help. I talk to Him daily about things and I try my best to be a good daughter to Him. I know I fail miserably most of the time but the point is that I am trying, and that is all He requires. My relationship with Him could be much better but I think that in time I will gain that relationship...I'm a good daughter and am loyal. I don't stray...anyways..I think this is all down to my anisethetic they used on my tooth today I probably make no sense whatsoever...but it is my thought for the day. xxx

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

I like your thoughts - I still have moments where I just want my mum, I don't think that every changes. You got me thinking when you siad you don't rely on God physically day by day, but really we all do. I believe He is the one who knows the number of days we have. He is the only one who can heal when a miracle is needed for our health. Perhaps we don't acknowledge it but He is the only one we can rely on physically day by day, we can make good choices in eating well and keeping healthy but really how long we're here isn't up to us. Just a thought x