Wednesday 1 December 2010

Without even realizing

I grew up with a plan in my head and I knew exactly what I was going to do and how I was going to get it. I was going to go and do something huge! 26 years down the line and here I am....my dreams have changed so much since when I was a teenager, I no longer strive to be perfect and the goal of my days is not to be the best and have the best but to simply live well. I don't wake up in the morning and think about my wants and my needs but I consider the needs of my two beautiful children and my amazing husband. Yesterday we celebrated our 7 year anniversary and it was a wonderful day. I was sat thinking this morning that without realizing it I was living a dream. It isn't what I origionally dreamt 15 years ago but I am happy. I think about some people that I know who are alone, who don't have children, who don't have a home and who's priortities are so different to mine. I used to think that being succesful and well educated was the way to go and for some this is the case but now my dreams are more home based. They consist of a two year old and a 9 week old...they involve my husband and I being happy and settled in our lives. My dreams now are those that most mothers have to wake up content in the knowledge that their children are safe and that their husband is madly in love with them just as much now as they were when they first met. My goals are attainable now today my goal has been to clear our bedroom and I have nearly reached it. My other goal for today is to clean the kitchen and make up a batch of cookie dough to make cookies with Maggie tomorow. I speak to my friends who don't have children and our lives are not the same anymore, my life consists of nappies, teething, developmental concerns and maybe an hour of peace with my husband in the evening.  Their lives consist of school, their partners, jobs, shopping, hair apts, dr apts. . . and I find myself gradually having nothing in common with them. I am at peace with that because where I am now is a place of being a mother and a wife...to being someone to another person and having that connection. I Am : Steve's wife,  Maggie and Aimee's mother and for once in my life I am happy with belonging to somebody. I always wanted to be the individual the quirky and unique one. These days I sit in a coffee shop with my little family unit, baby on the breast and toddler colouring in front of me. . . I am complete! Without even realizing it I have been living my dream....I am content in my life and am happy with the person I am becoming.

No comments: